On Episode 10 of Bioman, Doctor Man’s Biokiller Gun invention killed the first Yellow Four, and a replacement joins the team.
Episode 10, Goodbye Yellow:
Mika Koizumi, a photographer who dreams of following in her brother’s footseps to photograph the wildlife in Africa. Initially, she is hesitant to join the Bioman team. However, she is convinced when she realizes that if she does not fight, then the animals in Africa that she loves will eventually be in danger. She was killed by repeated Anti-Bio Particle blasts from the Bio Killer Gun which Peebo later recalls during Silver’s first appearance. Her weapon was the Thunder Sword. Her special attacks were Super Electronic Holography and Yellow Flash.
Jun Yabuki, a 19 year-old Olympic archer. After watching the Bioman in action, she tries to join them but is initially refused, even though Mika Koizumi had just died; the others were looking for another descendant of the original five who were bombarded with the Bio Particles. However, she proves her courage, and it was discovered that she also has Bio Particles. Her weapons are Bio Arrow and Thunder Sword. Her special attack is Super Electronic Holograph.
Heard from the grapevine, Mika had a problem with her talent fee that eventually led to her quick depart from the series. Looking closely, Mika is in her Biosuit all throughout the episode except for the first few minutes because allegedly, she didn’t finished filming the rest of the episode.
On Episode 11, Jun replaced her immediately. Isn’t weird that from the Pilot Episode, Mika’s character is hesitant to be Yellow 4? Maybe that’s a hint of her future in Bioman.
Episode 11, Enter New Warrior Jun:
Here are some interesting facts on Yellow 4:
- Mika is the first female Yellow Ranger.
- Her English dub name is Casey, which is also the name of the Red Ranger from Power Rangers Jungle Fury.
- She is also the first female Sentai Warrior to die.
- Mika was written off the script because Yuki Yajima left the show possibly out of pay issues, similar to Austin St. John, Walter Emanuel Jones, and the late Thuy Trang in the second season of Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers.
- For Mika’s last episode, her voice was dubbed over by an uncredited Mayumi Tanaka as Yuki Yajima had only completed ADR for the first nine episodes before leaving abruptly.
- With Mika appearing as Yellow 4 in her Akibaranger cameo, it confirms that she is still considered a Ranger even after death, even with her replacement as Yellow 4 in all later appearances including the Legend War.
Jun is the second Yellow Ranger Replacement, after Daigorou Kumano (Kirenger II) from Gorenger.
- Due to the fact that she is a descendant of the original five people who were sprayed with Bio-Particles, it is believed that she is related to one of the other 5 Biomen. Due to her color scheme presumably she shares the same ancestor as her predecessor and the families branched out somewhere in the past.
Unlike the other Biomen when this series was Dubbed into English in the Philippines, Jun retained her original Japanese name (or perhaps it was meant to be “June”).